Here at West Hills College, we have a few basic goals for our players; thus, while here at WHC, our coaching staff desires for each of our players to become ...
1) Better Players -- Our program features video analysis work, a detailed strength and conditioning program, a long toss / throwing program for pitchers and position players, and arm care program for all pitchers. Detailed charts and statistics are used to monitor the progress of our players while also giving us a tool to evaluate our strengths and weaknesses. Coaches at WHC are responsible for helping our players develop their skills in order that they become better players during their two years here.
2) Better Students -- Our program features comprehensive academic program designed to help our players succeed and improve in the classroom. Our "Academic Expectation, Progress, and Performance Program" features the use of a daily binder to help players with notes, time management, and organization skills. Weekly meetings with coaches for all players is mandatory for all 36 weeks of the school year. Coaches at WHC are responsible for organizing binders, meetings, study halls, and tutors in order to help our players succeed in the classroom and ultimately transfer to a 4-year NCAA or NAIA school.
3) Better Men -- Our program stresses attention to detail, hard work, professionalism, intensity, 110% effort, being a "man for others," and always living by the credo of 40 > 1. This credo states that our daily decisions affect EVERYONE around us; thus, when I make a decision, it must be a decision that is for the betterment of the 40 people around me each day (i.e. teammates, coaches, and athletic staff).
Here at West Hills College, we live by a few principles that are non-negotiables:
1) Play Hard -- It is NEVER acceptable to give less than 110 percent. Running out ground balls, sprinting on and off the field, sliding on every close play, diving for balls to keep them in the infield, putting constant pressure on the defense -- all of these examples embody the spirit of what it means to be a West Hills College Falcon.
2) Play Fast -- Don't ever let the game be quicker than us. Think ahead. Be alert. Be prepared. Expect the ball. Players need to stay one step ahead of the game and our opponent.
3) Play Together -- We are together nine months a year and for this reason, it is important that we have complete trust, loyalty, and respect among our players and coaches. If somebody can't adhere to the ideal of playing together, then they don't belong with us. Again, 40 > 1!
4) Execute -- It's no longer enough try hard. When we were little, it was satisfying to hear, "Good try!" But now, we need to do more than just try -- we need to execute and perform. Once we learn to execute and perform, the next step is to execute and perform consistently. If we can't execute and perform consistently, then we need to work harder.
5) Have Fun -- We're here to play HARD, to play FAST, to play TOGETHER, and to EXECUTE. Additionally, we're here to have fun. For us here at West Hills College, working hard, seeing improvement, playing against the best, competing for championships, and being a part of a committed team can mean only one thing: FUN! We're here to have fun playing the game we all grew up with.
6) Think Ahead and Be Accoutable – Your actions directly affect those around you. Understand that EVERY decision you make will have either a positive or negative affect or influence on your teammates, coaches, family, and community members. Often, we can’t undo the actions we’ve done or take back the words we say, so THINK AHEAD!
7) Live in the Moment – Remember when you went 4-4 yesterday? It’s over. Remember when you made that error last inning? It’s over. Remember your strikeout last at-bat? It’s over. Live in the moment. Think WIN (What’s Important Now!). Whatever you did last game, last inning, or a second ago, whether good or bad, is now over. It’s time to move on and produce again!
8) Get It Done! – Nobody cares about your excuses. Nobody cares rough the seas are; just bring the ship in to shore. Just GET IT DONE!